Search This Blog

Friday, August 19, 2016

Spotlight on WYATT BLAIR


WYATT BLAIR is an American singer and guitar player. After "Banana Cream Dream", his much acclaimed full length debut released in 2013, the man is coming back now with a sophomore effort, "Point Of No Return". Once again, all songs written, recorded, performed, produced, mixed and mastered by Wyatt Blair himself.

Here is a little chat yours truly had with him:

1) What can you tell about yourself? Were you California born and bred like the Flamin' Groovies once said or is this just the place where you now live?
I was born and bred in California! Dana Point, CA to be exact!

2) To what kind of music did you listen as a teenager and does it still influence your today work? 
What was your favorite band as a teenager? Name 3 bands that you consider still have a influence on your own work today. I listened to a lot when i was a teenager, from all genres and eras. I listened to a lot of punk music like Suicidal Tendencies, and some pop music like Sugar Ray & even some ska stuff like The Specials!

3) At what point did you decide to make music? Were you playing in bands when you started out or have you always made music on your own? 
Well my dad was a drummer so I grew up with drum sets around the house and he taught me how to play. I always loved drumming and from there it led my curiosity to learn guitar, and bass and sing, and then led me to writing songs. Then led me to engineering and producing so I can make my own records. It's been a snowball that still rollin’ I learn things everyday.

4) About the previous record "BANANA CREAM DREAM", can you explain the title?
The album was recorded & produced by yourself in 2012 but only Mastered and released on record in 2014. What happened in between and what took so long to actually have it out on vinyl?
The title was named by my friend Tomas. I used to wear this banana yellow scarf ALL the time back then, and he used to call it a “banana cream dream” so when i started writing the album I decided to title it that, in honor of my scarf and the concept of complete randomness on the album. Yes, I recorded it on a small 8-track tape recorder. The whole record was done on 8 tracks. It was only supposed to be a Burger Records cassette originally, and never thought it would come out on vinyl. So when Resurrection Records asked me to press it in 2013, I had is mastered and made new artwork in honor of that, and now it is what it is! Thanks Resurrection Records!


5) The record can generally be seen as a Power pop/glam record except for 2 electro/kratfwerk tracks. Do you consider this as a really weird mix? 
Hm, I dunno at the time when I was recording it, I wanted it to be a comedy album, very sarcastic lyrics and have the songs be random in a way. Never listened to much Kraftwerk.

6) Would you like to comment on the cheesy cover art of the record? What was the general idea? 
I don't know really, I love funky patterns so I just decided to go with a cut out artwork type deal for the cover and used some pictures my friend Angelica took, and a pic of my dog Jesse on the back (RIP)

7) Is the new record still the work of a solo artist or was it recorded with your live band? 
Yes, I started recording it in winter 2014, and took me up until now to have it come out! I had some friends play keys and back up on the record. Chelsea Brown, Louis Filliger, David Loca, Tomas Dolas, and actually my dad plays on a track too!

Purchase a digital copy here : https://wyattblair.bandcamp.com/
or a physical copy here http://lolipoprecords.com/shop


No comments: